Skills, Tests, Achievement, Recognition – this is what STARSkate is all about!
The Georgetown Skating Club provides figure skating development through the STARSkate program. Skaters of all ages have the opportunity to develop fundamental figure skating skills in the areas of ice dance, skating skills, free skate and interpretive skating in a group and/or private lesson format.
STARSkate includes specifically designed awards and incentives. Skaters have the opportunity to take Skate Canada Tests through a nationally standardized testing system. Skaters who have mastered figure skating skills in STARSkate may also choose to pursue synchronized skating or pairs skating.
Skaters must have completed badge 6 from the CanSkate program – however – CanSkaters between Badge 4 and Badge 6 recommended by their coach may be introduced early through the PreSTAR program. Click here for more information.
- The program’s focus is on Skating Skills, Ice Dance, Free Skate and Interpretive.
- Group lessons are offered only at the PreSTAR/Star 1-2 level
- STAR 1+ skaters are required to choose a private coach within 3 weeks of starting their program to provide them individual or semi-private instruction.
- Stroking will still be taught in group format each day
- There will be unstructured practice time as well each day
- STARSkate is NOT a badge program – participants will be evaluated by a judge.
- Two or three day programs are available
Please check out Skate Canada for lots more information – and join us!
A skater can choose a private coach from our roster of Professional Coaches. Please refer to our Choosing a Coach page for further information on how to pick a coach
Coaches get booked quickly – don’t wait until the last minute – book yours early!
No Make ups for Missed Classes: Skaters sign up for a specific session and cannot be accommodated on another session if they have to miss a day for any reason.
Guest Skating for STARSkaters
All StarSkate skaters are welcome to guest skate during session(s) that they are not registered for. Currently, Guest Ice is available for all StarSkaters during all sessions of the week. Please see our “Special Notices” section to the right for more information.
STARSkate Payment Structure
Unlike CanSkate, the STARSkate program has a different payment structure:
- First you pay for the club ice time which is the program fee.
- You then pay for the lessons according to the coach’s charge out rate.
Skate Canada Regulations
Due to Skate Canada regulations your child will not be permitted to step on to the ice until they have been registered with Skate Canada and issued insurance.
Payment and Registration
Georgetown Skating Club MUST receive payment for your child’s program at least 48 hours prior to your child’s first skate session to allow time for our administrator to register your child and receive confirmation of insurance. This insurance is NON-REFUNDABLE therefore there can be no exceptions to this policy.
Guest Skating for STARSkaters Payments
- The fee is $25.00 – to be paid before stepping onto the ice
- If the session does become full it is first come (paid) first serve basis
- Must only skate during regular StarSkate level
- Envelopes are available on top of the GSC mailbox
- Please include name and date on envelope and place in mail box
Please review our Concussion Policy. Every StarSkater needs to hand in a signed Concussion Disclaimer form during the first week of the skating season.
If you have registered and not yet submitted your payment, please contact us by email here:
Georgetown Skating Club can not be responsible for missed sessions due to last minute and/or unpaid registrations resulting in a delay in obtaining confirmation of your child’s insurance.